Thursday, July 16, 2009

Swim Team and Family Time

After such a busy month of end of school and festivals in May and June, we were happy to take time off in July. My oldest son Jake, is on swim team and has had a meet every Saturday since late June. The swim teams schedule is almost over so we are gearing up for a few shows in Aug. (God Bless us wanting to stand in the heat all day!).

During this small jamming hiatus, we have been able to try a few new recipes (Watermelon Rind Preserves is the latest) and pick blueberries and blackberries – although I am panicking that we have not picked enough to hold us through the summer! But mostly we have been spending time with the family.

My dad’s side of the family held a family reunion/memorial for both my grandparents. Unfortunately, I did not attend but spent that weekend making Aebleskiver’s (Danish pancake balls).
This is a Strong Family tradition that we all loved when my Grandma made these. I was ecstatic to learn that I am the proud new owner of my Grandmother’s cast iron Aebleskiver pan. Actually it is handed down from my Great-grandmother. I am honored that out of all her seven children and 25+ grandchildren I am the lucky one to receive this gift (thank you Pat for going to bat for me!) I have such fond memories of my cousins and I waiting for the next batch of Ableskivers to be done. We knew not to sleep in or you would miss out! I hope to bring that tradition to my family and give them the excitement of waiting for the next batch of hot Ableskivers my cousins and I experienced.

Our family just had a family weekend with my husband’s side of the family as well. It was a nice weekend at my brother-in-laws pool. We had good food, games, and lots of time for the little kids to play together.


Kyland Tie-Dying his shirt


Jake and Brianna making their tie-die shirts


Up next, deciding where we should go during my husbands time off? We always wait till the last moment to make any plans. We want to go somewhere close (within 5 hrs. drive) and kid friendly. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Ummm...my house! Duh! How out that Sesame Street place in PA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! Jake rolled his eyes when I mentioned Sesame Street Place. Can you beieve he is rolling his eye at me?! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete