Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Weekend Festivals and Country Stores

Last weekend we had a wonderful time attending a festival at the Glebe Church in Gloucester, VA. We received an invite to this festival after the Daffodil Festival earlier in March. This was their first year and it was a great sucess. Not only did they have a live band, several great vendors, and lots of great people attending but the setting was perfect. It was set on 17 acres at a historical home that was converted into a church. I left my Mom in charge of the tent long enough to get a little shopping done and go on a tour of the historical house. I missed a little of the history but it was built sometime during 1882-1885 and is in fantastic condition! I loved the home but the property is what was amazing. It had several out buildings: one being a chicken coop that was refurbished into the current church that holds about 30 parinishers. My first thought was how anyone could use a chicken coop to worship. But after taking a short tour (I mean very short) I saw first hand that the coop was transformed into a lovely worship center.



I had a chance to snap a few photos: here are few of my favorite.











The Chicken Coop....




Turned Church. Actually quite a nice church. You would never know you are in a old Chicken Coop!



Town Cowboy and Sherif to keep peace and order





I found a new favorite product while shopping at the festival: Mojack Fresh Organic Free Trade Coffee. This coffee is freshly roasted in Gloucester and a portion of its proceeds go to Clean the Bay organizations. I purchased a pound of Bena Blend (special blend for the Gloucester area). We ground some up on Sunday morning and it was delish! This will defiantly be in the next Bed and Breakfast basket we give away. You can check out this great coffee and their company.








Finally, after a wonderful day at the festival, we stopped by our new friends John and Heidi’s newly opened store Bena Country Store and Frame Shop. It was the day of their Grand Opening. This store is Fabulous! It is a work in progress but I can tell it will be a huge hit. The building itself is the town's original General Store (about 100 years old if I remember correctly). They have a collection of penny candy (well, almost penny candy), candles, gifts, unique prints, a frame shop, and Fresh Batch Jams! We had to take some photos of our items in their first storefront!


Fresh Batch Jams on the shelves at Bena Country Store


It was a great day!




And Sunday was full of gardening. We still had lots of spring cleanup but most importantly we got the veggie beds ready for planting. Many peppers and tomato plants are in....60 days to yummy veggies and all the ingredients for Roasted Red Pepper Relish!




PS, Thanks to those who entered the Gift Basket give away. I hope the winner Emily enjoys her breakfast items this Mother’s Day.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for retail! Thanks for the pics. I actually think I might like worshipping in a chicken coop...sans chickens of course!

    ReplyDelete